Sunday, July 30, 2006

Time to forgive yourself

A friend of mine mentioned the element of forgiveness in my last entry - that it's ok to be who you are as long as you are doing your best. I hadn't thought of it in those terms - I was too caught up in the love and compassion. And she was right, there is this element of forgiveness...and therefore freedom. Freedom to be you. Because you are perfect just as you are.

When you are genuinely doing your best, acting for the highest good of all concerned, who you are is always enough. But we spend so much time not forgiving ourselves for real and imagined failures that we cannot tap into our joy and passion. What would it take for you to forgive yourself? What would it take for you to believe that you are enough? That YOU have something wonderful to give this planet and you already possess the means to do so?

Yeah, I know, it's easy for me to say, right?! I have struggled with this for years - and am only now coming to understand that what I have in me is more powerful, more wonderful than anything I have sought 'outside' me. And of course there are still moments when I think 'who the hell am i?' At these times I remember the words of Marianne Williamson:

"Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

So, when you know that your hiding your light in a bushel is not helping anyone, what changes?

Love

Donna.x

No comments: