Friday, January 26, 2007

A simple formula for happiness

What's the formula? Your life + stuff you like doing - stuff you don't like doing = happy.

Simple eh? Do more of what you like to do and less of what you don't. Ok, if you don't like your job, house, climate, friends, food, social life then you have work to do! But you don't have to do it all at once. Start by adding one thing that you like doing to your life, and take away something you don't like.

It's sometimes easier to morph something you don't like into something you can enjoy - like doing the weekly shop when the store is quiet, or allocating 2 hours for it instead of rushing. I actually quite like doing it when it's chilled and I can smile at other shoppers and banter with them...instead of rushing round like a demon and wanting an electric cattle prod to get them OUT OF MY WAY. Ah hem.

What got me thinking about this was that I was at my dance class today for the first time since before Christmas, and OHMIGOD did I enjoy it! Belly dancing is as much (for me) about laughing hysterically with fun people as it is an expression of my femininity. It's also bloomin hard work - I'd forgotten just how hard it is...and now I'm putting off taking the dog for a walk cos I'm knackered!

It's surprising how much difference just one thing you love doing can make to the outlook of your day. I woke up this morning (to the dulcet tones of next door's alsation...little b£$$%^&) in much the same humour as yesterday - stressed, tense, too much to do...and now I am sitting here cheerfully skiving off what I 'should' be doing. It'll get done...later.

Here's to a weekend full of things that you love to do.

Love

Donna.x

No comments: