Saturday, October 20, 2007

Swing Low, Sweet ...

Rugby fans among you will recognise the reference above - yes, it's World Cup Final day and the England rugby team, against all odds and expectations will be defending their title. For me, it is another opportunity to gnaw through my fingernails, hide behind the sofa (as I did 4 years ago...I couldn't bear to watch!!!) and, I hope, cheer myself hoarse.

Now, you know me, I see signs and inspirations in the most mundane of places. Lessons, if you like...although that just shows the limit of language because 'lesson' implies something painful, boring, harsh. When actually these lessons are wonderful - helping us to navigate the world in which we live. Anyway, the 'lesson' (if anyone has a better word, please let me know!) from the England rugby team?

Persistence. Heart. Refusal to let past results influence their future. Continuing with confidence despite harsh criticism. Everyone expected them to go out in the group stages. They didn't. Everyone expected Australia to wallop them. They didn't. Everyone expected France to annihilate them. They didn't. Despite negative expectation, criticism and poor results, they are in the world cup final for the second time in a row.

Ooh, the anticipation! Now, at this stage anything is possible... including me starting smoking again if they make it as nervy as the last 2 games! Put this is the context of your life: do you continue despite 'failures', do you ignore negative expectation and criticism and carry on regardless, do you bounce back again and again and again until you are in the position where anything is possible?

Love 'em or loathe 'em, you have got to admire them...and perhaps even be slightly inspired by them?

Love

Donna.x
PS COME ON ENGLAND!

No comments: