Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Longing behind the Should

This week I wrote a newsletter about the demon 'shoulds' - those things that we 'should' do and feel terrible about because we don't do. I asked readers to take a look at what was behind the should - for example, behind 'I should diet' is 'I want to feel good about myself'. The idea is to find what you really want, because there are other ways. In this case, raising confidence, eating better, dressing well, exercising will all accomplish the desired result. No diet recquired.

The same concept (sychronistically) came up in a client session today, and my client put it perfectly. "Find the longing behind the should". When you find the desire fuelling the should, you will find the drive to do what you want to do...and it won't be a should, must, have to or ought to anymore. It'll be a want. Much easier...and no diet recquired!

love

Donna.x

No comments: