Monday, February 19, 2007

It's just a walk

I was out walking the dog today, and I got to considering how much even this simple action needs:
- the eyes to see where I'm going
- the legs and feet and ability to walk
- the appropriate clothing for muddy fields
- the arms, hands and fingers to hold the dog lead and poo bag
- the brain and disposition to enjoy the experience
- the air, larynx and voice to yell at the dog when she's digging up a rabbit hole
- the ability to experience joy when the sun came out (I thought I'd get pissed on!)

There are a lot of people who don't have these things. Especially the last one. The ability to experience joy. Walking the dog? And everywhere else. Seriously, the sun came out and I laughed aloud with glee...this is my most treasured ability - because all these little moments of joyfulness lead to a life of joyfulness.

Today, think about how much is involved in one simple task - driving home (the car, the co-ordination, the drilling of the oil to make the petrol etc), putting on the kettle (the miracle of electricity, the co-ordination, the magic of a tea bag), whatever it is you are doing - and look for those moments of joy. Savour them, remember them, talk about them...have more of them!

Love

Donna.x

2 comments:

Martysue said...

"because all these little moments of joyfulness lead to a life of joyfulness." I just wanted to tell you that this phrase was one that helped me remember what I should be doing every day, no matter how I "think" I am feeling about a situation. Thanks for posting it! I enjoyed many of your posts... I will be back often :) Martysue in USA

DonnaOnTheBeach said...

Thank you Martysue! Absolutely, it's what all of us want to be doing every day - more joy, less stress...join me in infecting the world!!! Hope you continue to enjoy the blog.

Love

Donna.x