Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Even Bad Pub Singers Can be Fun

It's all about attitude. Following my excursion to London to listen to magnificent music and thoroughly throw my heart and soul into the experience, I had the misfortune to be in the pub last night with someone who has the 'worst pub singers in the land' CD and is faithfully reproducing it. It was the point at which my friend and I were trying to figure out what song it was, and realised it was the Kooks (done in the style of a pub singer) that we realised this could be excruciating!

Now I freely admit to being a total music snob. I love credible music. I like to hear good songs done well. One of my pet hates is good songs done badly. So last night was trial by warble for me...Green Day in the style of a pub singer? AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaargh. And then I remembered that it was my choice to be so badly affected by it - the story I told myself was 'oh my god, he is murdering Green Day. How dare he? Oh, this is awful. Please God let it end!'

That story is never going to result in joyful participation...so I decided to change my attitude in the 2nd half. This was tested within 40 seconds of the restart with a pub-singer style butchering of the Kaiser Chiefs. However, I decided to see the humour...and there was much to laugh at. The odd 'woo's from the singer in random places, the overexcited tambourine player, and the sheer astonishment of a 20-something year old stereotypical pub singer.

I laughed pretty much constantly for the 2nd set. He was no better (to my ears - many in the pub loved him), but the story I told myself was totally different - 'oh, this is funny. Name that tune in 703, what on earth is that 'woo' about?! Is he taking the p&^%?'

What story are you telling yourself about something you are not enjoying? Change the story, change the experience. That doesn't mean I'll be back in the pub next Monday...

Love

Donna.x

No comments: