Monday, June 04, 2007

Sunshine and foolishness

Oh, how I love the sun! I was very excited this weekend when the sun shone for DAYS on end (if you're not in the uk - it rained for WEEKS on end so sunshine is exciting). In my excitement I completely forgot about sunscreen. Yes, I know...stoopid. Especially as I am the colour of milk. I inherited my mother's pale Irish skin, and can stay in the sun for about 5 minutes without burning.

However, yesterday, 30+ years of bitter experience disappeared out of my head and now I look like a letterbox wearing a white vest. (I was hugely amused that a couple of people said I looked radiant! Sunburn, dear.) Anyway, the purpose of this post is not (just) to ridicule myself (as much fun as that is). It is to note that sometimes we do stupid things. Sometimes we forget what's good for us, and sometimes we have to face the consequences (4 bottles of aftersun being schlooped into my skin...)

I could (easily) berate myself as an utter imbecile, put myself down and generally be mean to me. But I won't. Not only is it an unpleasant thing to do to myself, heckling me is never a good way to get me to do anything! I made a mistake. I am paying for it. (why can't you get sunburn in the winter when you could do with the extra heat generated?) I won't make it again this year. That's good enough for me.

What are you berating yourself for? Could you let go of the need to punish yourself just for today, learn the lesson, and let it be ok? Perhaps even see the funny side?

Love

A Radiant Donna.x

2 comments:

Christina Rolle said...

Hi Donna,

most of the time I can stop berating myself. But do I learn the lesson from what went wrong?

Sometimes it seems that history repeats itself over and over again.

But I´m working on it.

Love

Christina

DonnaOnTheBeach said...

Lol. I think you spoke for the whole world here, Christina!

I like to think that we are learning a bit of the lesson every time...and eventually, we 'get' it. For me, part of that lesson is that when I cock-up, I am kind to myself - I could never have learned that one if I didn't cock up so much!!!

Love

Donna.x