Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thoughts of a hungry girl

I am on a diet of jelly and boiled sweets today. I am going to hospital tomorrow for, let's just say, an investigation of my digestive system. So I can't eat. Up until lunchtime I wasn't too bothered, but now, coming up to tea-time, I am starting to obsess about food. Before this turns into an 'it's a shame for me' fest, let me just say now how much I take food for granted normally, and how much I am appreciating how lucky I am.

Firstly, I am hugely grateful that this 'mini-fast' is a choice, and when I get the all-clear tomorrow, I will not have to do it again for a long, long time. I am immensely grateful that I will be able to open the fridge or cupboard tomorrow and partake of a wide range of foodstuffs. There are many in this world that are not so lucky. There are people out there for whom hunger is a way of life.

I am also grateful for the fact that I can have fizzy pop - I am loaded up with E numbers right now! And trust me, every single mouthful of breakfast, lunch, tea, supper and the various snacks I can have will be appreciated more than it was last week. Far more. In fact, I have never been so excited about the choice of foodstuffs that are available to me! (yesterday I could have things off a list...the choices weren't extensive)

So, here's the message to you - (and it's really driving home the point about giving thanks from last week!) be grateful for the things you take for granted - the food, the heat, the friendships, the money, the job, the masses of 'stuff'. Appreciate just what you have, because when you cannot eat and watch other people with food, you cannot believe just how blase they are about their abundance!

And on a final note, I really don't like boiled sweets!

Love

Donna.x

No comments: