Monday, April 16, 2007

Eccentricity rocks

Last night I was reading Anne Perry's Bedford Square (victorian murder mystery...gotta love it!) and my attention was captured by one of the characters, who felt that only the 'most eccentric' of interesting characters could relieve her boredom.

It got me thinking about that eccentricity. Nowadays called wierd, abnormal, strange and mocked and vilified in 'normal society'. In Victorian society what was called 'polite society' - something we now look back at with tolerant amusement at their blatant discrimination, bizarre rules of what was the 'done thing' and rigidity. I wonder if anything has really changed? Aren't there now 'standards of behaviour' to adhere to or risk being ostracised by society?

I am not talking here about murdering the neighbours and burying them under the cabbage patch. I am talking simply of being who you are and doing what you love to do without having some infantile eejit point and laugh. This is a real hot button for me, because I am 'weird' for many things - liking opera, belly dancing, going for a walk, being a coach and masseuse, not wanting to sit in a crowded, stinking pub 7 nights a week.

Weird? Not in my view! Eccentric? CERTAINLY! I love the freedom of that word 'eccentricity' - there doesn't appear to be the same negative connotations to being an eccentric as there is to being a weirdo! Yes, I know it is sophistry, but sophistry is the key to all. And so, today I am revelling in my marvellous eccentricity, and the knowledge that should Lady Vespasia Cumming Gould meet me, she should find me most interesting.

Would you rather be a magnificent eccentric, or a drone?

Love

Donna.x

No comments: