Monday, April 23, 2007

Self Reliance

In our world of me, me, me, self-reliance and independance conjure up images of having a spanner in one hand and a wooden spoon in the other. Look at me, I can do ANYTHING! Well, hap hap hazah, she muttered sarcastically. Forgive me for not quite getting it - what's the point in doing everything yourself? I'm sure I have an ancestor in the aristocracy...I'd much rather get other people to do things for me.

Not just because I'm lazy, but because the mechanic does a better job than I do! And this drive toward self-reliance in this sense has left us a nation who are critical of all we CAN'T do, forgetting the things that we CAN do. It's left us exhausted and stressed - trying to do absolutely everything ourselves. Stop now. The only thing that only you can do is take excellent care of yourself - for me, this is true self-reliance.

The other stuff is just time-fillers. Who cares if you can't bake the perfect cake, work a power tool or make your car purr like a Rolls? What you CAN do perfectly is to be yourself - if you take care of yourself well, and let yourself 'be'. It sounds like the hardest work on earth...and it's the easiest and most beautiful thing just to be yourself. Your true self is a lot gentler on you than you allow.

When will you turn on the true self reliance of relying on your TRUE self?

Love

Donna.x

No comments: