Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Who is setting your goals?

How much do you do because it is 'the done thing'? How often do you do something you don't really want to because someone else wants you to? How much of your life is the result of someone else's input? Who sets your goals for your life?

I am a fiercely independant soul, and the thought of someone else setting my goals for me is enough to make my teeth itch. And yet...I still order some things in my own life to please other people. Now, I am not talking about going to see a chick flick with the mrs, or an action flick with the old man. I am talking about what you actually do with your life. One of the reasons I loved living in Australia was that I never had to explain or justify what I was doing to anyone. If I wanted to move on, I moved on. If I wanted to quit a job, I quit.

Whenever anyone says to you 'this is what you should do', they mean 'this is what I would do in your place'. So what? They're not you! Swimming against the stream can be so difficult that we give up and let that stream carry us away to where everyone else thinks we should be. But what do YOU want? What would you want if you knew that no one else would question you?

What do you really want for your life?

Love

Donna.x

No comments: