Monday, July 16, 2007

13 Going On 30

I like a good chick flick. I also like a good teen flick. Put the 2 together, and you have a marvellous way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Not only that, but you also have a great lesson for life, should you choose to look for it.

Now you may think that the movie '13 going on 30' is pure schmaltz, brainless tv from fantasy-land...but you may have missed something. There's a really serious lesson here that we all need. When you become an adult, you are supposed to 'grow up' 'mature' and become sensible. The trouble is, that doesn't make most of us that happy. Once you're grown up, you can't be silly, you can't be immature, you can't need anyone else and you must get it right.

Now it's serious. Pah. I stick my tongue out in the general direction of that idea. It's cobblers. I plan to live til I'm 105, so I still consider myself at 34, a kid! I hope to still consider myself a kid right up until I'm 105...because let's face it, the more I learn, the more I realise I don't know. But here's what my pre-teen self knew that is still true:

- laughing is the best way to spend your time
- dragging your friends along to play is more fun
- enthusiasm is infectious (if sometimes misguided!)
- life is for fun, laughter, silliness, childishness
- grown ups are really boring sometimes

What have you forgotten that you knew for sure when you were young? If you were still young (even at 105), what would you want to remember?

Love

Donna.x
Last one to start laughing is a rotten egg!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've learned that if someone ever tells you (condescendingly) to grow up, then they are usually frustrated and boring (and probably envious of your fabulous life)

AG

DonnaOnTheBeach said...

Perhaps 'they' think growing up would be better? It's a shame for them. I stick my tongue out and cross my eyes in their direction...I'm sure that will infuriate them (smirk).

Dx