Tuesday, July 03, 2007

A Physical Being

For the past 3 months, my excuse for not doing any yoga has been that I need a new yoga mat. I finally got round to buying one at the weekend, and have since been exploring the flexibility of my body (conclusion: I am as flexible as a dry twig!). After an exercise hiatus, I am this week getting back into the habit of doing yoga, dancing, walking and swimming...and just 3 days in to the new routine, I feel a thousand times better.

The 21st century encourages a largely sedentary lifestyle in too many of us, with exercise just one more thing to be fitted into a busy day. The irony is that exercise makes that busy day easier. Admit it, you feel better when you exercise - your circulation, heart rate and happiness rate all improve. When your brain is oxygenated, you can work smarter, and when you are physically tired, you sleep better.

Even though we know all this, we still have 201 excuses not to do exercise! So here's what I did: I decided the minimum that I would be happy with each week, and have committed to that. I can do more if I want to (which I always do), but I've made it so easy that it would actually be harder to find an excuse not to exercise!

Remember that you are a physical being, and today decide what teensy, easy thing you could do to get that body moving. Oh yeah, and then do it!

Love

Donna.x

No comments: